Monday, June 28, 2010

Success and Balance

Is this you?


You are working hard on building your sports dietetics practice, following this marketing lead, listening to what this other RD is doing and thinking, “Oh, I need to do THAT!” And you pretty much run from sun-up to sun-down, trying to chase after all the things you think will help you achieve success.



Where is your rest? How will you successfully grow your business if you don’t incorporate rest into your business?

Let’s address how to incorporate balance into your life, so you practice what you preach.

Getting balanced – 3 tips you can use now

1. Eliminate pre-conceived time boundaries. I have had my business since 1996, and have pretty much worked “full time” since then. Yes, I would take time here and there to meet friends for lunch, or attend networking events. But I was religious at making sure I worked Monday through Friday… because “that’s what you do!” However, I have just moved to Arizona, and when I moved, that opened up two days a week in my schedule! At first, I thought, “Oh, great, I can add more coaching clients to those days!” However, I also realized that one of the important parts of life, now, was to hit the hiking trails. So, today, I take Tuesdays “off” and then also either a Thursday or Friday off. And, I have never worked weekends.

Now, the first thing people think when they take more time off work is “Oh, business will drop down!” But, you know what? I am more present with my clients NOW, my creativity has increased, and when I DO work, I am much more focused and productive. And business has NOT dropped!

2. Do what you think you can’t. Is there something you’ve wanted to do but hesitate because it feels like too much work to learn? Do you hear yourself always saying, “I don’t have time for that”? The advantage of striving for something (a new competition, playing an instrument, etc) not related to your business will help you in several ways. First, it will help you empathize with some of your own clients better, who struggle to achieve their goals. Second, it will push you out of your comfort zone, so when you DO accomplish that goal, you will have greater self-confidence. This will filter into your business confidence, too.

3. Avoid isolation. Get out and join entrepreneur groups that are not just related to dietetics – for women, NAWBO (http://www.nawbo.org/) is an excellent organization to get involved with. Join your local Chamber, and then go to the meetings on a regular basis. Get out and get to know people; develop relationships. Not only might you create some great contacts that lead to new opportunities, but you may create new friendships, as well! And, when it comes down to a balanced life, strong friendships will make all the difference between enjoying life and just rushing through it.

With focus, determination, and planning, your business will be up and running successfully. In the meantime, however, it’s as essential to incorporate that balance into it as the work and dedication. Way too many people find themselves saying, “I’d just like to quit and get a job.” Before you get to that point; take time off and play!

Margie
Marjorie Geiser, MBA, RD, NSCA-CPT
MEG Enterprises