Monday, August 23, 2010

Time + Perception = Challenge

I’ve been asking people, “What is your biggest current challenge” and have noticed a trend. We see it on here, too; when I write about time management, people take notice.



We’re all looking for how to manage the time we have better. What people told me in reply to my question above was this:
• Having time for myself
• Balance
• Balance
• Finding time
• Learning how to say no

Do you hear yourself in any of these? Do you see a trend??

I’ve written about time management in this blog before, so I’m not going to repeat myself. If you haven’t read them, check old SCAN blogs and read them, now. What I am going to discuss, though, is our PERCEPTION of time.

What do I mean by “perception of time”, you ask?

We all have the same amount of time in a day. Often we observe very successful people and wonder “How DO they fit it all in?” Yet they have the same number of hours in a day you do!

Sure, they might have better organizational skills. And I totally believe in the value of help (we can build a small business on our own, but to take it to the next level, you do need other people). But, above it all, they all have two things in common:
- They have a clear vision and a plan for achieving that vision
- They PERCEIVE that they have the time to achieve that vision (each day, week, month, etc)

So, great, I’ve now shared with you what the most accomplished people have in common, and have basically told you that you need to change your PERCEPTION! But you’re probably now asking, “Now what?”

This is where coaching comes in! What is your belief around your time (or lack of)? Do you moan that you just have way too much to do, with school and your business and children, etc? Do you believe you can’t do something yet, because you ‘don’t have time’? What would you like your time/days to look and feel like? How would you feel if your reality was your ideal vision?

This the first place to start in looking at your perception of your time issue. And I was tempted to walk you through a great exercise that is called “The Work”, but instead decided to give you the link to the specific exercise. If this is truly an issue for you, take your belief around time into that exercise and share with us what comes up for you! (And, as an aside, if you are not familiar with Byron Katie and The Work, I also suggest you check out her videos of her DOING ‘The Work’.)

There is a way to be in control of your day, your business, your life, your time. We all strive for that control. When you have it, things couldn’t be better! And it IS possible!

It’s all in your perception.

Margie
Marjorie Geiser, MBA, RD, NSCA-CPT
MEG Enterprises