Monday, July 18, 2016

Packing in the Protein with Pancakes



My alarm clock buzzes and I immediately start preparing myself to get an active start to the day.  This involves blasting “Bombastic” by Bonnie McKee and one (or two) cups of coffee. While these things get me to stretch my legs and drag myself out of bed, it is not until I have had a hearty breakfast that I am revved up and ready to go.

My go-to breakfasts are oatmeal with a scoop of chunky peanut butter or greek yogurt with fresh berries, granola, and raw nuts. But, today I’m excited to share my new obsession, one that warms the hearts of many. Pancakes. The extremely delicious recipe found below is made with almond meal which I have made a staple in my kitchen. Almond meal is a great substitute for your typical wheat flours due to its high protein and fiber content. A quarter-cup of almond meal contains a whopping 6 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber. Pancakes have never sounded so good! A stack of these are guaranteed to boost your performance.


Banana & Almond Meal Pancakes
Ingredients:
1/2 cup almond meal
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup bananas or berries, sliced (optional)
dash of cinnamon

Directions:
1. In a mixing bowl, combine almond meal, egg, and milk.  Mix well.
2. Add cinnamon. Stir.
3. Spoon batter onto a hot skillet.  As the flapjacks start to bubble, lay a few slices of banana onto the uncooked side, then flip! Let cook until golden brown.

--

Jaime Ruisi is an MSCN Candidate in Human Nutrition with Oregon Health and Science University