Saturday, June 29, 2013

Blogger RDs Share Their Passions & Advice: Part One

This is a series of dietitians who have created their own brands using social media and blogs.  Here is the first installment and interview with Nicole, the author of Prevention RD

Nicole has a day job as the Director of Nutrition Services at a small hospital and at night she is a "home cook, blogger, and wife" as taken from her blog.  She has experience in renal disease, diabetes, weight management, food service management, teaching, and bariatrics.  Nicole is also an author and you can find information on her books here.












  • Why did you decide to become a blogger? I became an RD in the economic pits of 2009. I was down on my luck trying to land my first job out of school and the search took the better part of 6 months. While applying for jobs, I decided to focus my energy and passion for nutrition online by way of starting a blog. The rest is history.

  • How has this helped your career? Blogging has enriched my career in many ways. Without a blog, I don't know that I would've ever been capable of landing a cookbook deal, much less 2 cookbook deals. I am creating a network and business outside of my day job that will, perhaps, lead to gainful employment in and of itself. I would love to work for myself and take my career in any direction I see fit. While I cannot always dictate what I do as an RD during the day, I can learn, grow, and share anything I want in the online community and on my blog. It's so empowering to have a voice, grow a readership, and know that you make a difference in the world, helping people reach their goals.
  • What advice do you give to someone starting out in blogging? If you're passionate about something, write about it. Someone will read. If you keep writing, your readership will grow. You do not need a new or innovative idea to be interesting and informative. The world is full of false and misleading nutrition advice - RD's are the perfectly suited individuals to be battling all the misconceptions out there. The internet provides RD's with the perfect vehicle to move information through masses of people at no cost to the writer.

  • What is your favorite post or topic? When I find recipes that are superior in taste and nutrition that anyone could make at home for their families, I can't wait to share it with the world. Cooking has become such a passion of mine that to see nutrition and cooking marry into good health...it makes me foodie dietitian heart smile!